Section 15 - Centro Portugal

Figueira da Foz / Ílhavo

The section begins in the city of Figueira da Foz, strategically located and in a privileged position along the banks of the rich estuary of Mondego river.

As historical and cultural heritage you can see the Fort of Santa Catarina and the Fortress of Buarcos.

The multiple existing green areas include the Serra da Boa Viagem, the Abadias Park, the riverside area and the Bom Sucesso Lagoons.

The Cabo Mondego Natural Monument is a protected area with high values in the fields of paleontology.

Continuing the route, we arrive at Mira beach that stretches for a white sandy beach. The all surrounding area is characterized by the beauty of the ocean, the pine forest, the lagoon and the dunes preserved by existing vegetation.

This section ends in the city of Gafanha da Nazaré – Ílhavo.

To go from section (15) to Section 16, it is necessary to cross the Ria de Aveiro by a fluvial connection by ferry, which departs from Barra Fort and reaches São Jacinto.


Photos:
visitportugal.com (2); bicicletapelacosta.blogspot.pt; diariodigital.sapo.pt; nabicicleta.com; FPCUB

Points of Interest

Heritage: 29
  • In the mid-19th century, this became a very popular beach, largely through the influence of the tribune and politician José Estevão, who built his own palheiro here (recognisable by its blue and brown stripes). It was in this house that he met with...

  • Photo: www.rotadabairrada.pt

  • Photo: www.lazer.publico.pt

  • Photo: pela-positiva.blogspot.pt

  • Photo: www.amn.pt

  • Photo: www.rotadabairrada.pt

  • Photo: www.diocese-aveiro.pt

  • This unique museum provides an insight into the admirable and heroic adventure of the cod fisheries, and the remarkable ethnographic richness of the coastal populations, whose character is moulded by the rough seas to which they owe their survival....

  • The fort has a curious triangular shape, with a half rampart in its northern corner. Inside is a small chapel and the barracks. Together with the Forte de Buarcos and the Fortim de Palheiros, it formed part of a group of defensive fortifications.

  • The Mosteiro de Santa Clara was built in 1314 at the orders of the Queen Saint Isabel of Aragon, replacing a small convent of nuns of the Order of St. Clare, founded in 1286. The building was completed in 1330, having been designed by the architect...

  • Monastery of Santa Clara-a-Nova
    The Monastery of Santa Clara a Nova was built in 1649 on the left bank of the River Mondego, intended to provide shelter to the Clarissa nuns of the Convent of Santa Clara a Nova, following the plans drawn up by...

  • Open to the public since May 29, 2003, this small museum unit, located in the village of Buarcos, aims to recover and disseminate some of the major historical memories of the fishing practices most used by shoreline communities of Figueira da Foz...

  • With a square ground plan, the arches of these cloisters present a beautiful decoration of laurel leaves carved out of stone. They were designed by Marcos Pires and built in the first quarter of the 16th century. On the walls, visitors should notice...

  • The Sé Velha (Old Cathedral) is one of the country's most beautiful and oldest Romanesque monuments, dating from the time of Portugal's foundation as a nation. Work began on its building in 1164, at the initiative of the Bishop Dom Miguel Salomão,...

  • The former Roman city of Conímbriga is one of the richest archaeological sites in Portugal.

    ConÍmbriga, one of the richest archaeological sites in Portugal, was originally a Celtic castro of the Conii tribe in the late Iron Age. After 139...

  • New project of magnifying of the Museum, of the authorship of arquitecto Alcino Soutinho, is characterized for an architectural building modern, endowed with audience, destined room the temporary expositions, educative services, library, laboratory...

  • The Santo André Ship-Museum is an extension of the Ílhavo Maritime Museum. It was part of the Portuguese cod-fishing fleet and is designed to illustrate the different arts and techniques of trawling. This side trawler (used in the more...

  • Nowadays, the church is the see of the Diocese of Aveiro. It was consecrated in 1464 and was formerly connected to the monastery of São Domingos. In 1834, the monastery was transformed into a military barracks and was burnt down some years...

  • This church belonged to the former Carmelite convent, the cloister of which is now occupied by the police. Founded in 1657, by the 4th Duke of Aveiro, the church was only completed in 1738.

    Although there are no features of major interest...

  • Convent of Jesus in Aveiro
    The current façade of the convent dates from the 18th century and includes three doorways with beautiful frontons, bearing the royal coat of arms on the central fronton. The building preserves several former convent...

  • One of the oldest churches in Aveiro, this was the headquarters of the ancient and quite sizeable brotherhood of fishermen, responsible for the first fishing trips to Newfoundland in 1501 or thereabouts.

    There are some well-preserved...

  • The initial project for the design of this church (1585) was attributed to the Italian architect Filipo Terzio, although, from this same plan, it is also known that it was only completed in 1653, under the guidance of the Portuguese master builder...

  • This small chapel, begun in 1722, is one of the most interesting monuments in Aveiro. It is composed of two parts: the octagonal nave and the rectangular chancel. Three beautiful and highly decorated portals can be seen on the outside. The pediments...

  • This church is all that has survived from the convent founded between 1613 and 1620. In front of the churchyard is a wall decorated with baroque motifs, whilst the blazon of the Carmelite nuns can be seen above the door.

    The interior is of...

  • This unique museum provides an insight into the admirable and heroic adventure of the cod fisheries, and the remarkable ethnographic richness of the coastal populations, whose character is moulded by the rough seas to which they owe their survival....

  • Sanctuary of Nossa Senhora de Vagos
    This church was built in the founding years of Portugal as a nation. Pilgrims travelled to this Carmelite sanctuary on a daily basis from neighbouring municipalities. The church was modified in the nineteenth...

  • Situated on the northern bank of the Mondego River, 0.8 nautical miles from its mouth, is the Marina of Figueira da Foz. This consists of a harbour with a total area of 5 hectares, comprising several piers and floating fingers, and with 200 berths...

Nature: 2 Beach: 35 Information: 5 Bike Shops: 9 Accommodation - Campsite: 8 Accommodation - Youth Hostels: 2 Safety: 16 Hospital/Health Center: 4 Pharmacy: 27

Album: share your pictures Post a Picture

Album is empty

Comments: Section 15

Section 15

Figueira da Foz / Ílhavo: 73

  • Elevation
  • Heritage
  • Nature
  • Beach
  • Information
  • Bike Shops
  • Accommodation - Campsite
  • Accommodation - Youth Hostels
  • Safety
  • Hospital/Health Center
  • Pharmacy