Until the middle of the 20th century, this was the site of the “Fábrica do Gás de Belém” (Belém Gas Works). The remodelling of the zone, with the planting of palm trees as a symbol of the new lands discovered by the Portuguese navigators, took place at the time of “Portuguese World Exhibition” (1940). The Belém Tower, one of Lisbon´s most distinguished monuments, was improved by a new apron of gardens. Nearby is a marina – Doca do Bom Sucesso – for pleasure boats.
Here, we find a monument in honour of Gago Coutinho and Sacadura Cabral, who made the 1st crossing of the Atlantic Ocean in a seaplane, and a Memorial to Combatants of the Overseas War.