The Necessidades Tapada dates from 1604 and is located in the parish of Prazeres. In 1742, King João V acquired the surrounding farmland and built a large chapel, a convent and a palace for his own residence.
In 1843, King Fernando had the gardens redesigned by Bonard and transformed the vegetable garden into an English-style park. King Pedro V (19th century) commissioned the circular glasshouse, while King Carlos (end of the 19th century) built the tennis court and a Pavilion known as Casa do Regalo, which Queen Amelia used as her painting studio. Currently, the Forestry Commission operates from the tapada.
Here we can find three lakes: Palmeira, Estrelícias and Duque de Lafões, surrounded by exotic vegetation, a cascade, a fountain and a reservoir, and statuary including the “Virtudes” series.