Founded at the beginning of the 18th century, the Church of Santo António suffered considerable damage in the 1755 earthquake, which led to its reconstruction in 1769.
It is a church with a single nave, modest in size and with a simple façade, on which the main feature is an eye window with a border with seven shells.
Inside the church can be found one of the Algarve’s great artistic treasures: a magnificent ensemble of Baroque gilded wood-carving made by Gaspar Martins and Custódio de Mesquita which, as well as the main altarpiece, includes the carved covering of the side walls and the lower choir.
The works of art include a dado of Baroque tiles, a number of 18th century paintings representing the miracles of Santo António, and also a series of statues including one of Santo António on the altarpiece.
The Church of Santo António is visited via the Dr. José Formosinho Museum, of which it forms part. Here, archaeology and ethnography exhibitions can be seen and a room of religious art which, among other pieces, has a 17th century alabaster statue representing Nossa Senhora da Piedade (Our Lady of Piety).
The old Lagos Pillory can still be seen in one of the museum’s interior patios.
Phone: 282 762 301