This fortress was built in the 16th century in order to protect the coast from the frequent attacks by Moorish pirates. It stands on the site of an earlier medieval convent, which, legend has it, is supposed to have housed the mortal remains of São Vicente (St Vincent).
It is a military construction with a polygonal floor plan, with a gateway crowned by the royal shield and which once had a drawbridge.
Inside the fortress can be seen the lighthouse of São Vicente which was built in 1904 and is still in operation today.
County: Vila do Bispo
Phone: +351 282 624 234 (Lagos harbourmaster’s office)