Paderne Castle is one of the seven castles represented on the crimson border surrounding the white shield on the coat of arms of the Portuguese flag.
Built by the Arabs in the 12th century, it was taken by D. Paio Peres Correia in 1280. It is an excellent example of Muslim military architecture, being built in taipa (made of mud mixed with lime and stones), but was badly damaged by the 1755 earthquake.
Phone: 289 599 500 (Albufeira Municipal Council) Tel. 289 896 070 (Algarve Regional Culture Directorate)
VisitPortugal URL: https://visitalgarve.pt/en/495/castelo-de-paderne-paderne-castle.aspx