At a place called Laranjeiras, near Alcoutim, there is an interesting archaeological site which was uncovered during the 1876 floods.
It is an ancient Roman villa, built in the 1st century and remains can still be seen of a pars fructuaria, a storeroom where farm produce was kept.
Equally interesting are the archaeological remains of a 6th century Christian church, fruit of the Visigoth occupation of the Iberian Peninsula, following the decline of the Roman Empire.
Two semi-detached dwellings here bear witness to the fact that this large-scale farm continued to operate during the Islamic occupation of the Algarve in the 8th century.
Phone: 281 540 500 (Alcoutim Municipal Council)