The Igreja da Trindade was built in the 19th century and is one of the most imposing churches in the city of Porto. It forms part of the complex of buildings that make up the hospital of the Third Order of the Holy Trinity, created in 1755 after the suppression of the Order of St. Dominic.
The church completely occupies a whole block and the group of buildings was designed by the architect and military engineer Carlos Amarante in the first years of the 19th century, even though it may have been altered in 1818 by José Francisco. In stylistic terms, it is a neoclassical building with some features from the baroque tradition. Its building work was only completed at the beginning of the 20th century.
Inside the church, one should notice the technical quality of its decoration, particularly the marble work and the carved and gilded woodwork of the altarpieces, particularly that of the high altar produced by the architect José Marques da Silva.