Classified as a national monument, the Convento de Santo António belonged to the Franciscan order and was founded in 1598.
The monastery originally consisted of a small church and a small number of houses used for retreat purposes. On 17 November 1601, work began on the enlargement and restoration of these buildings. This work carried on for several years, due to the monastery’s size and volume and the friars’ financial difficulties. At the end, the church and monastery were left with the appearance and features that we can see today.
One particularly interesting feature is the rectangular cloister, built on two levels and decorated in the upper storey with Tuscan columns. The walls of the lower storey are covered with a dado of 18th-century tiles.
Outside, the church of the Convento de Santo António has a sober and simple appearance. On the main façade, which faces north-west, the most striking feature is the portico with its triangular pediment displaying the Cross of Christ. On the left is the bell-tower, which embellishes the building and was once highly useful, as it was previously the only clock in town.
The altar front and side walls are covered with tile panels, with scenes from the life of St. Anthony, the Preaching to the Fish (right-hand side) and the Miracle of the Mule (left-hand side).