Located within Sesimbra Castle, the church of Santa Maria (Saint Mary) was built in 1160 to commemorate Christian reconquest of the land. However, it underwent various modifications that altered its original structure. What can currently be seen is practically an 18th century church.
The very simple interior has but a single nave. On the ceiling, there is a 17th century canvas depicting the crowning of the Virgin. The walls are fully covered in 18th century blue and white tiles featuring scenes from Mary´s life. There is also the 17th century carving on the retables belonging to the seven altars. In the sacristy, it is still possible to admire a priceless image of Nossa Senhora dos Homens (Our Lady of Men), in alabaster, dated to the 13th century.