It was in this house belonging to the Portuguese crown since the 14th century that Prince Henry the Navigator was born.
The building originates from the 14th century when the king Dom Afonso IV decided to erect the Customs House in Porto’s riverside area, in order to supervise the trade that was being brought to the city along the River Douro, together with a Mint. The building continued to serve as a customs house until the 19th century, although the house has since undergone a variety of restoration and improvement work.
According to some historians, it was in this house that Prince Henry the Navigator was born, which explains how it came to be given this particular name. It was declared a national monument in 1924. In the 20th century, during the course of restoration and conservation work, some remains were discovered of a Roman palace.
It now houses a museum, where you can find out more about the history of the Casa do Infante, and a Historical Archive.