Church of Santo António – Lagos
Originally constructed in 1707, the church was rebuilt in 1769. The baroque gilded woodwork decoration is considered to be some of the finest in Portugal. The walls are covered in 18th century blue and white azulejo panels.
The entire church is crowned by a wooden vaulted ceiling, imitating a barrel-vaulted ceiling. The ceiling is covered by wonderfully coloured and intricately drawn printings. The rigorous sense of perspective gives us an enchanting impression of reality.
A statue of the patron saint, S. António holding Baby Jesus in his arm and flanked by two angels carrying torches, is located on the throne within the altar. The church also houses a rare statue of S. Elói – the patron saint of goldsmiths.