Church of Santa Maria – Lagos
Built in the 15th century, the church has a rectangular layout, single nave, and elevated main chapel, baptistery and high choir. Laterally, with direct communication to the nave, there is an intricately carved masonry doorway dating from the early 16th century. The high altar is painted in a surprising manner – with luminous colours and biblical scenes.
The local people considered it to be the Parish Church in substitution of the Church of Santa Maria da Graça, that was destroyed in the 1755 earthquake after a fire. The church was rebuilt at the end of the 19th century.