Paderne Castle (remains)
Paderne Castle was conquered from the Moors in 1248 by D. Paio Peres Correia. It maintained its military functions until 1858, when it was deactivated.
It is one of the seven castles represented in the Portuguese flag.
Notwithstanding successive restoration initiatives, only the entrance tower and several sections of wall remain of the original structure. Cutting across the castle walls, it is also possible to see the ruins of a hermitage with vestiges of Gothic and Manueline decoration.