Convent and Church of the Ordem Terceira de São Francisco (Tertiary Order of Saint Francis)
The construction of the primitive church was begun towards the end of the 17th century. It was too small for the number of faithful and underwent enlargement between the mid-18th and early 19th century when the façade was concluded.
On the inside, there are some lovely examples of tiles, particularly the 18th century panels covering the walls of the main chapel and in the vaults with a valuable polychromatic panel representing the Heart of the Virgin forming the centrepiece. The tiling, in blue and white, forms part of the 18th century Ciclo dos Mestres (Cycle of Masters) carried out between 1720 and 1730.
There is also an important collection of 18th century Italian-style sculptures featuring the life of Saint Francis and the roc. They are made up of a skeleton or wooden structure with only the arms and heads carved. They were dressed according to the liturgical calendar and used in the processions of Ashes and Pains. They were completed in 1746 by Faro sculptor Miguel Nobre.
Adjoining the Church, in the former convent building, there is the Hotel and Tourism School