Church of the Ordem Terceira de Nossa Senhora do Carmo (Tertiary Order of Our Lady of Carmel)
The Tertiary Order of Our Lady of Carmel of Tavira (Ordem Terceira de Nossa Senhora do Carmo de Tavira) was set up at the beginning of the 18th century with its place of worship in a Convent of Saint Paul chapel. In 1737, the founding of its own convent in Tavira was requested before temporarily transferring to the Chapel of São Brás (Saint Blaise).
The new convent was built with strong financial backing from the Tertiary Order Friars and eminent local mercantilists. Due to the scale of the initial project, the convent buildings ended up never being completed and part was given over to the Tertiary Order cemetery.
On the inside, there are certain baroque and rococo pieces of great artistic value including the carved altarpieces of the main and lateral chapels, canvases, throne and church organ.
The Bishop of the Algarve Ignácio de Santa Teresa was buried here after passing away in Faro in 1751.